Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sick & Tired of Being Sick & Tired

Summer is usually a time of fun. I got to have some fun at the start of the summer... first on my trip to Finland (for work, but very cool), and then on vacation to Bermuda. Then, I got sick.

It started with a bad ear infection in mid-July that never seemed to go away. I've been back to the ENT several times who keeps telling me that my ears are clear despite my protestations that I am in excruciating pain (to the point where I am taking percocet several times daily) all along the right side of my face - with the fixation point in my ear.

So on Tuesday I had a head/neck CT Scan. Today I got the results.

Apparently part of your tonsils are sub-lingual (under the tongue) and therefore cannot be seen during a normal exam. These are the part of my tonsils that have tonsillitis. It's a gnarly infection and I will be on an uber-antibiotic for 2 weeks (the warning on the pamphlet actually says "Do not take this medication unless you have a serious illness as the side effects can be fatal"). Then he'll drop a scope down my throat and see if the infection is cleared up - now that he knows what to look for - and if so I am good to go. If not, I may be undergoing a tonsillectomy. Ah, the irony that I will have ANOTHER tonsillectomy again in my lifetime is not lost on me - and I hope you find it amusing as well. That's right - for those of you who don't know, I had my tonsils out when I was 3 - apparently they left scar tissue - and apparently tonsils can and will grow back. As Mr. Holly said, "that is the worst superhero power ever!" And I heartily agree.

So tonight I begin the antibiotics, which I am told will be horrifically unpleasant for my stomach... but within a few days I shouldn't feel like an ice pick is being rammed into my ear any more.

So that's the news... still the kid with the bad ears / nose /throat wondering where in the hell I got these defective tonsils from anyway.

Mom & Dad, I would like a refund on my tonsils, my original tonsillectomy, and any other defective ENT gear I came from the factory with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats