Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My little accident

First things first: I am okay.

A not-so-funny thing happened on my way into work this morning.

My camry got into a wrestling match with a large tree, and lost. The camry is no more.

I've just gotten out of the ER, cleared after Xrays and Cat Scans and all manner of lovely poking and prodding to learn that I am severely bruised, but not broken.

What happened?

There's this beautiful windy lane-and-a-half semi-paved road that I take into work (scratch that, used to take into work) and this morning some asshole in a large F150 sized pickup comes around a tight bend barrelling like a bat out of hell, well into my lane. The only spot left for me was the gravel shoulder, and as I came around the corner, I was on all gravel on top of a hill, the car fishtailed, and I wound up across the lane making kissy face with a tree.

To my knowledge, the guy never even looked back. To be fair, by the time my car was off the road he was probably well past the S curve and beyond the ability to see my car.

But, there were good samaritans on the road, so while I was in shock and crying, a woman got out her EMT kit and started working on me, and a nice man took over my 911 call to explain to the operator where I was. The ambulance was there within minutes.

They had to cut the driver's door off, and they have to do all that crazy "strap you to a board and immobilize you" fun stuff because apparently my car was partially in a ditch and it would have been a good 3.5 ft drop for me to get out, and these guys were more stubborn than I was, and there were more of them, so I gave in. It didn't take much to persuade me.

Everyone there was fantastic - the EMTs, the hospital staff, the insurance guys who got me a rental right away.

I'm home, very sore, moderately doped up, and staying put today and tomorrow.

At least this happened after I voted and before the 50k maintenance.

1 Comments:

At 2:55 AM, Blogger Monkey's Max said...

First things first: so glad you are all right. That is two accidents in the family in 10 days (I assume you have heard about my nephew). Hope you feel better very soon. Look after yourself.

Love
Cousin Max

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats