Sunday, July 02, 2006

Kate Bosworth is NOT Lois Lane

We saw Superman tonight and I had a great many fears - would this new Superman be able to fill the mighty legacy left by Christopher Reeve? Would Kevin Spacey play Lex Luthor as too campy - someone we couldn't take seriously as a villain?

Brandon Routh is superb. He embodied everything Reeve did. He could be Reeve's clone. He looked the part, he captured the part, he was amazing and adorable.

Kevin Spacey - I am sorry I doubted you. When I first saw you in The Usual Suspects I thought you were a brilliant actor. I thought Luthor was all wrong for you. How wrong I was. Bravo. Bravo for taking the risk and bravo for a job well done.

Ms. Bosworth - you are no Lois Lane. Not now. Not ever.

Back in the day, when Ms. Kidder was Lois Lane we all got why Superman loved her - she was the yin to his yang, the fire to his serenity, the only one that had the gumption to take him on, and the vulnerability to melt for him. We loved him more because he loved her. For all her neuroses (Lane, not Kidder, although we know now what we didn't know then), she was an amazing woman, and it was easy to want them together.

Not so with this Lane-less endeavor. She of the obviously poorly dyed hair. She of the wishy-washy persona. She who delivers all her lines like whiny angst-ridden questions. This is not our Lois Lane.

For the first time I found myself wanting Lane to die. For Superman to let her fall off this mortal coil - to cease, perchance to die.

If there is a sequel, Brandon and Kevin will be eagerly welcomed back.

Ms. Bosworth, on the other hand, would be wise to have a conflict of interest. Go back to being blonde, go back to your surfboard, go back to trading barbs with the likes of Topher Grace (no offense, Topher), but whatever you do, just go away and leave Superman alone.

2 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must break my no comment rule and completely agree with what Sara wrote. I grew up with the Superman comics and movies so I was both eager and concerned about this new Superman movie. I was wondering if it would be a good movie and whether this actor could pull it off, whether we would be able to get past the fact that on the big screen Christopher Reeve was Superman. I was not worried about Kevin Spacey playing Lex Luthor, I just new he could. I didn't worry about whether Lois Lane would be portrayed correctly since she is a normal human and not iconic like Christopher Reeve as Superman.
My Faith in Kevin Spacey was completely justified as he is a superb actor and was amazing as Lex Luthor.
Brandon Routh allayed most of the fears of a Superman that wasn't Christopher Reeve by both looking like him and acting as both Superman and Clark Kent like him so much so that you could practically forget it wasn't.
The one area that I wasn't even thinking about, Lois Lane, they completely screwed up. Kate Bosworth was horrible in this part. I can't speak to her other performances as I haven't seen her in much. I didn't realize who the actress was until the movie was done and Sara informed me that she was in Remember the Titans so every moment she was onscreen (and it is Lois so you know it was most of the movie) I was trying to determine if she was the actress who plays Dr. Cameron on House - side note: If you like Sara's blog for the sarcasm you would love this show. I was absolutely sure that they did not cast the whiney, childish, insecure, emotionally dependent Cameron (character name) in the part of Lois Lane. This was especially distracting because Kate Bosworth as a brunette looks a lot like Jennifer Morrison.

Overall: This was a great movie and I look forward to the continuation of the series; however I must echo Sara's request for Ms. Bosworth to "just go away and leave Superman alone".

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Cookie said...

I totally disagree with the Bosworth assessment. She was a totally different Lois Lane from the past. Not a hard crusted female reporter (just a guy in disguise kind of woman) but a much softer more vulnerable Lois. I applaud the break from the mold. She couldn't replace the Lois' that came before; and she didn't - I liked "Richard" too- amazing to pull off that role and be likeable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats