Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why you aren't getting Warren Buffett's Money

We all have get-rich-quick dreams and schemes. For some it is the lottery, for others it is pulling an Anna Nicole, or an invention, or the long-lost-unknown-relative who leaves you everything.

You are dreaming.

My dad has been buying lottery tickets faithfully for years - no serious winnings yet. I had a great idea (I thought) for a business, then some friends went into business and they seemed miserable. I decided to let someone else pay me and handle the payroll taxes.

Anna Nicole? Yuck. Please don't. If you do, please don't tell anyone.

If you don't know the relative? He doesn't know you. No inheritance for you!

But now that Mr. Buffett has announced his plans to give away the bulk of his 44 Billion (yes, BILLION, with a B - imagine how many zeros that is) dollar estate to charity, I bet you all had one thought:
that guy who sings Margaritaville is giving away money?

No.

Warren Edward Buffett
is an American investor and businessman. Nicknamed the "Oracle of Omaha" or the "Sage of Omaha" - 2nd richest person in the world behind Bill Gates. (wikipedia)

James William Buffett
singer, songwriter, and recently a film producer best known for his "island escapism" lifestyle and music including hits such as "Margaritaville" (wikipedia)


Now that you've got margaritaville spinning in your head go ahead and hum along while you accept that neither billions nor margaritas are coming your way for the moment.

No.


His money is going to charity. No, you are not a charity. Even if you were a charity, you'd have to be a Bill and Melinda Gates approved charity. Why? Because Buffett is using their philanthropic organization to channel the money.

But I always wanted to start a charity.

But you didn't start a charity.

So even if you could talk to Warren, it wouldn't do any good. You need to talk to Bill and Melinda. And Bill and Melinda have very specific agenda items: 1. Public health. 2. American education. It's hard to argue with either of those - given how desperately they are needed. So even if you could talk to Bill and Melinda, it would be useless unless you represented a legitimate, established charity that addresses #1 or #2 above.

Sure, I spent a few minutes wondering what I would say and what (I dream) they would say, and how I would spend the money. But we all need to face facts - none of us will directly see a cent - the money is going to charity.

Now, if we could all take all that day-dreaming time and effort and spend it on a second job flipping burgers or stocking shelves, we'd have something to show for it. It's that kind of industrial behavior that made Warren the man he is today.

That and inheriting a good sense about the stock trade from his father.

At least he didn't pull an Anna Nicole.


Now excuse me while I go invent my chairty and work on my sales pitch...

1 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No money AND no margaritas??? Dammit all!!! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats