Monday, June 19, 2006

Charity

Is it still a charitable contribution if it was extracted by force?

At the beginning of May the Puppy Patrol called me. They wanted a donation to support their outreach program. I gave them some money.

The Puppy Patrol is a group of Police dogs and their handlers, going to schools and trying to influence kids in a good way. Now, I have several reasons that I felt compelled to give: 1. I love dogs, 2. I love to see Police dogs employed away from guns and bombs and the like, and 3. I used to do this.

Not this exactly. When I was in high school I worked with Project D.A.R.E. going to grade schools and talking to kids about
saying no (it was the 80s) and answering their questions about jr. high and high school.

So, I have a soft spot for the outreach thing. I think it is great for all involved. I didn’t hesitate when he asked for a $45 pledge.

Now, less than 6 weeks later, they’ve called again. But not for Puppy Patrol.

The group doing the pledges for Puppy Patrol is the same one doing this new drive. And, I’d love to help, but I can’t give them money every 4 – 6 weeks.

And I listened to the spiel, and I agreed it was a good cause, and if I hadn’t just given I would have gladly said yes.

And I tried explaining that.
Call me back in 3 months, I said. In 3 months I’ll be ready to pledge again. Not now.

So he started bargaining with me, if you can’t do $45 now, will you do $25?

In 3 months. Not now.


If you can’t do $25, can you do $12.50?

In 3 months. Not now.


If you can’t…

And here’s where I may have seemed belligerent. I don’t know another way to say this. Right now I don’t have a dime to pledge. Call me back in 3 months. That is the soonest I will pledge again.

Grumble. Sigh. Snort. Click.

So the thing is, this charity is more serious than Puppy Patrol, and I felt hugely guilty on the phone saying no. But the other thing is? I can’t give out money every time someone deserving asks for it.

And I’m not stingy. In any given year I make donations to the Humane Society, ASPCA, Breast Cancer, Cancer, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, Vietnam Veterans, and now the Puppy Patrol. I’m the person in line ahead of you that sees the change jar for the little girl on crutches and gives all her spare change. I don’t know her, but you know, life looks harder for her than it is for me.

I’m no Angelina Jolie (who states she gives 1/3 of her income to charity – which is awesome) - in more ways than one – but I give what I can, when I can wherever I see a worthwhile charity.

So right now this guy probably thinks I am some uber liberal who will support puppies but not a human charity.

But the thing is, if you get hounded to give, and it isn’t coming from the heart and is a strain on your wallet – is it really charity or emotional blackmail?

For me, wanting to give is a critical part of the equation. I don't give to causes I don't believe in. I don't give if it means bills go unpaid or we go without groceries.

So, pledge guy, wherever you are, just remember that just because I had money to give 4 weeks ago doesn't mean I have it now.

Why don't you hit up Angie? I hear she's got money to burn.

4 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know why my name and phone # is on the do not call list. I do not want to receive those unsolicited dinner time phone calls. You know, now that I think about it, this caller reminds me somewhat of some of the more common selling tactics our company utilizes.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you investigate them, you'll find that, at best, they give 6.4 cents for every dollar pledged! Also, many police departments do not trust them and believe they are a scam. If helping the K-9 and or general police department in YOUR TOWN, is what you want to do...make out a check and take it to them. They'll be very grateful and in most cases tell you exactly what your money will be used to purchase.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of these law enforcement related agencies employ fund raising professionals to make the calls, hence the hard sell. I also found that maybe 20% goes to the charity, and the rest to the fund raisers. I suggest looking up the organization and see if there is a way to donate directly, without going through the fund raisers. That way, you can "just say no" to the callers.

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also donated (regretably by credit card) and they ask if they could call again...I said yes.
They called back in 3 weeks. But in the mean time, I had a suspicious (out-of-state, but in the area of the TN based puppy patrol) charge on my card at a wal-mart. Anyway, I also told him not yet, the second time, he said "maybe a smaller amount" and when I continued to decline, he became aggitated and hung up. There maybe a legitamate puppy patrol, but I think the one that called me is a scam. If you paid via credit card, I suggest you watch your activity closely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats