Saturday, June 10, 2006

Second Viewing

Some time ago, I went on an ordinary girl's night out, had dinner, and went to the movies. We saw a movie none of us really had any interest in seeing, but it had just won in several Oscar categories. The awards were well-deserved.

Today, I was flipping through the channels to have something on for noise while I ate lunch and cleaned. It was just starting. I sat down. I never cleaned.

I knew every scene that was coming. I knew the character development. The relationship development. The plot development. Still, I was riveted.

It took me ¾ of the way through the movie to realize I hadn't made my lunch. I stood there making my lunch and staring out at tv. Riveted.

The story of a 30-ish woman from a bad background with a meaningless job and a dream. A dream that no one thinks she can pursue.

She does, she finds success. She tries to take care of her family. They shun her.

Her mentor, a man with an estranged daughter that won't speak to him, becomes her surrogate father. The crusty old man pushed her away at first. Then, they bond. Then he gives her the nickname, My heart, My beloved, My blood in Gaelic without telling her what it means.

They give and take. Their personalities are so different. The commonalities seem limited, a wounded heart, a fighter's spirit. Somehow, they form a family.

She, his surrogate daughter. He, her surrogate father. Both standing in for those who can't, or won't.

On the surface it might seem formulaic, however, the movie is anything but. Rewatching it today only made me want to watch it again immediately after it ended. I've already decided to add it to my Christmas wish list.

If you haven't seen Million Dollar Baby because you don't like boxing, sports, sweat, Clint Eastwood, Hillary Swank, or Morgan Freeman, then you are missing out. Rent it, give it a try. If you don't like it after 30 minutes, turn it off. My guess is that you'll forget to breathe and even blink at times.

And when you've made it through the movie, and you feel this haunting presence like a mist about you, remember why you love good movies. They do more than just fill a few hours, they reach inside you and tear at your heart and your gut.

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo miss you and this entry reminds me of just how much. ;-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats