Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A baker's half-dozen rants

Rants:

  1. I'm on meds, and lately the symptoms I take the meds for have intensified. Why? Because all my meds have my symptoms as side effects. That's right, my anti-anxiety med causes anxiety. Fuck off.

  2. Doing the 'right thing' for your health doesn't always make sense. So I'm trying to eat healthier and save money, so we eat home most nights. Most times I make some big meal on Sunday that we do as left overs on Mondays and Tuesdays. Then a dinner out, and then another home cooked for Thursday and Friday, and then out on Saturday. So the problem with this is that I've had to run the dishwasher every night for the last 4 days. That's right. Every. Fucking. Day. I'm single-handedly depleating the water supply for the planet.

  3. Apples brown too quickly. I can't slice them at home and seal them and have them fresh by the time I get to work - let alone for my mid-morning snack. So, I take my apple corer-slicer thingy with me every day, rinse it off, and forget to put it in the dishwasher every night. Why do I need sliced apples? Because I need to put light peanut butter on them so that I have protein paired with my fruit - otherwise my stupid metabolism thinks the fruit is in fact a candy bar. Hello - if I wanted you to process food like a candy bar I would eat a fucking candy bar. And yes, sometimes I buy those pre-sliced ones at the grocery store, but they are more expensive and harder to find on a regular basis.

  4. I can't get my cereal at the grocery store. Some time ago the good folks who make Cheerios started making Berry Burst Cheerios - and I love them. Truth be told, I do not eat the berries - which sounds odd - but the dehydrated berries infuse the cheerios with a mild sweetness that makes the cheerios both an excellent crunchy snack (dry) and a healthy breakfast. So what's the problem? Giant foods doesn't carry it here in VA. Neither does Safeway. Know where I found it? Target Superstores. Yep. I have to go grocery shopping at Target when I run out of Cheerios.

  5. Assholes are driving on my route. Scott and I each drive a route that contains a leg that I refer to as "the crazy route". The crazy route is mostly gravel, and it passes lots of interesting houses and businesses - it's wooded, barely 2 lanes (one each way, kind of), and you feel like you are driving through a forest. It's crazy because the road conditions are sub-sub-par, but no one is on them, so I bypass all normal traffic and generally save 15 minutes each way on my commute. Lately, there have been a bunch of slow-moving assholes on the route. To make matters worse, I heard that they are going to finally pave the crazy route, which sounds good on paper, until you realize that will shut the route down for a year and then increase traffic once the work is done.

  6. Mel Gibson, bin Laden, and Prussian Blue. Take your hate and get off my planet. That's right, all the haters - all you people who hate based on religion, race, or any other "they are different" reason - and all the terrorists - get the fuck off my planet.

  7. Incompetent people. Why don't you join the haters. You know why? I just watched On Native Soil, and heard over and over again how some or all of the 9/11 tragedy could have been avoided that day. THAT DAY. I'm not talking about months of government screw-ups (which honestly, were many, and FBI - hello - a database is a good idea). I'm talking about the airlines operators who kept a flight attendant on the phone for 20 minutes asking her over and over again for her name, seat number, and flight number when she was reporting the first hijacking as it happened. I'm talking about the guy at the FAA who, when asked if they needed to scramble planes to intercept the hijacked planes (after the first tower was hit) said, "I don't know, everyone just left the room". I'm talking about the air traffic controllers who thought that flight 11 was in the air 15 minutes after it hit WTC 1 - and losing the other flights in the process. I'm looking at the transportation authority that took too much time to alert all in-air flight crews that multiple hijackings were occurring and to be super vigilant. This deserves an entire blog, but I'm too upset to write it.

And here are my thanks:

  • Thank you, families of 9/11 victims who fought for the commission.
  • Thank you, Joe Liberman and John McCain, for fighting with them. It's nice to see politicians helping people.
  • Thank you, committee members who came up with real ideas to try to fight terrorist threats.
  • Thank you for making On National Soil. I bawled like a baby while I watched it. I'll never be able to watch footage of that day without bursting into hysterics.
  • Thank you, General Mills, for making Berry Burst Cheerios. I'm actually eating breakfast every day.
  • Thank you, Super Target, for my Berry Burst Cheerios.
  • Thank you, Plant-a-Plant nursery, your grounds are my favorite part of the crazy drive - your ponds and the bridge and the geese are awesome.
  • Thank you, miscellaneous wildlife on the crazy route. You are awesome, you deer, llamas, alpacas, bunnies, raccoons, gophers, beavers, and donkeys - you make me smile.

And last but not least...Thanks for letting me rant, and thanks for coming along for the ride.

3 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helpful note on your apple-browning problems. The reason the ones from the store don't brown is that they're dusted in citric acid, which acts an anti-oxidant.

This means that if you put some lemon or orange juice on the apples, they won't brown so fast. (Or you could pack them with a little piece of dry ice, which would drive out the oxygen, as well as possibly blow the lid off your container. But, the lemon juice is probably the simpler way.)

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Sara J said...

Thanks for the tip. I had heard that before about lemon juice, but the dry ice sounds like more fun!

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog because I was searching for Berry Burst Cheerios on the web. As I write this I'm thinking perhaps I have a screw loose. My Safeway discontinued the Berry Burst Cheerios a few months ago and I'm pissed. My whole family liked them. Whenever I asked anyone in the store about it they looked at me like I was crazy and pointed me at some other crappy copy, which was never the same. There's a Safeway version that looks the same on the front but as it turns out the berrys are just for show on the box, they aren't actually in the cereal. Assholes. That went in the garbage. We have one high end store nearby that sells the flavor that's berry and banana, but I don't like that one and they want like six bucks for it, anyway, which is ludicrous. I am so damn irritated that they discontinued the one cereal my kids want. I even left them a couple little cards requesting it back, and got some useless call in the middle of the day when of course I'm not there. They didn't even address the Berry Burst issue in their message. It's hopeless to try to fight the system. I have no Target Superstore around, but maybe I can buy a crate on the web or something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats